NEVADA RESIDENTS Take 3 Actions Today:
More Anti-Mustang Legislation Introduced!
The anti-mustang forces are at it again with legislation (AB329) to cut off wild horses and burros from water on public lands in Nevada, in addition to the resolution (SJR5) introduced eaarlier this month opposing the creation of wild horse preserves in the state.
AB329 was heard by the Assembly Government Affairs Committee on March 30, 2011 and this committee is expected to vote on this bill in the future. We will keep you posted on this bill.
Please take these three actions today to defeat these two measures that are bad for the mustangs and bad for Nevada.
1) Send messages to legislators urging them to vote against AB329.
2) Submit letters to the editor of your local paper. This is a fast and easy way to submit your letter.
3) Vote against the two anti-mustang measures in a poll on the official Nevada Legislature website. Results will be distributed to legislators so it's important that you please vote AND spread the word!
Instructions To Vote in Official Legislative Poll:
1. Click here to vote.
2. From the “Select Bill” drop down menu, choose the bill AB329.
3. In the "Your View" section, click the "Against" button.
4. Add a comment if you’d like. Something simple like, “The majority of Nevadans love mustangs. AB329 is anti-mustang and only a small group of cattlemen support this bill in order to serve their own commercial interests. Please represent the majority of Nevadans, not a small group of greedy cattlemen."
Repeat the above instructions #1 - #3 for SJR5. Sample comment, "SJR5 is bad for Nevada because it will discourage wild horse ecotourism opportunities that will bring jobs and dollars to Nevada. Please vote against it.”
Again, the poll results will be forwarded to legislators, so it's important to get as many Nevadans to participate in this poll.
Assembly Bill 329 (AB329) states that wild horses and burros are not wildlife and as such should not have access to water on public lands. The state controls water usage in Nevada, and by taking away water the anti-mustang cattlemen think they will get rid of mustangs and burros. This small special interest group of cattlemen view wild horses as competition for public grazing permits. It's time Nevadans stand up for wild horses and burros and prevent a small group of cattlemen from dominating the legislature.
AB329 is the second piece of anti-mustang legislation currently pending in the Nevada Legislature. Earlier this month we asked you to take action against Senate Joint Resolution (SJR) 5 which opposes wild horse preserves and limit wild horse habitat and populations in the state. SJR5 was unanimously passed by the Senate Natural Resources Committee and is waiting for a full Senate vote. We'll keep you updated on this resolution.
Please forward this alert to your friends and family who live in Nevada as soon as possible, before these measures are voted on by the full legislature.
AWHPC Founding Sponsor Advocacy Sponsor
The American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign (AWHPC) is dedicated to preserving the American wild horse in viable free-roaming herds for generations to come, as part of our national heritage. Supported by a coalition of over 40 organizations, its grassroots campaign seeks:
* A suspension of roundups in all but verifiable emergency situations while the entire BLM wild horse program undergoes objective and scientific review;
* Higher Appropriate Management Levels (AML) for wild horses on those rangelands designated for them;
* Implementation of in-the-wild management, which would keep wild horses on the range and save taxpayers millions annually by avoiding the mass removal and stockpiling wild horses in government holding facilities.
You are subscribed to the American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign's email list. You can unsubscribe here.