The fight for the future of our wild horses and burros is down to the wire! Congress is attempting to reach agreement on a giant $1.3 billion Omnibus spending package, which must be passed by Friday in order to keep the government running for the rest of Fiscal Year 2018.
The bill has not yet been publicly released. We still don’t know if it contains the Senate version of the Interior Appropriations legislation, which prohibits the killing and slaughter of healthy wild horses and burros, or the House version, which would allow the BLM to kill as many as 90,000 of these iconic animals. Also unknown: whether Congress will maintain the ban on federal horse slaughter inspections, which keeps horse slaughter plants closed in the U.S.
Upshot: There is still time for your voice to be heard! Please weigh in today – Take Action Tuesday – to urge Congress to pass a slaughter free budget for 2018. Here’s what you can do today:
1. Call the Leadership of the House and Senate. See numbers below. Simply deliver this message: "I'm calling to urge Senator/Representative _____ to keep horse slaughter out of 2018 spending legislation by maintaining the Senate versions of Agriculture and Interior Appropriations bills. Please stand with the 80% of Americans who oppose horse slaughter and want our wild horses and burros protected and humanely managed, not killed or slaughtered."
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: (202) 224-2541
- Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer: (202) 224-6542
- House Speaker Paul Ryan: (202) 225-3031
- House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy: (202) 225-2915
- House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi: (202) 225-4965
2. Contact your representatives now by taking action here.
It’ll be a long fight to make sure the lives of wild horses and burros are no longer in jeopardy. But with your support, we’re making gains toward a successful future.